THE DRAGOON GRAVE – THE OLDER MONUMENT
The South East corner of Trinitatis Churchyard.
Date of placement
24th of October 1836
Description and background:
The Monument was erected in memory of the 500 dragoons from Jutland who on the 24th of October 1657 were killed during the Swedish assult on the town and according to legend later were buried here. On the stone there is a big two hand sword decorated by an ornament of grace in cast iron. A metal plaque with a relief of a skull and crossed bones has been put in. Behind the stone Crown Prince Frederic (the 7th) planted an oak tree in memory of the deed. The grave itself consists of a knoll covered by a smaller stone. The Monument is the town´s oldest erected by the citizens lead by the doctor Holger Fangel.
On the 24th of October 1657
Decorate High Swords of heroes, this grave of the bold
to whom death was nothing but duty and honour
this ornament of grace was given by citizens in benefit
Of long memory of coming generations!